Friday, March 28, 2014

potriotism

There are some thoughts lately on my mind that bother me quite a lot. It's about a concept of patriotism. I used to be, or consider myself, very patriotic person. I was always singing whole national anthem, I tried to learn a lot about history of Poland, I like polish and I think we are an interesting nation, and I really loved living here. I always defend Poland when somebody is attacking us without good reasons. I was always truly sad when thinking about wars, warsaw uprising, the death of millions of inocent people. And I do think about that stuff today and I didn't change my mind, but why do I like my country and why it is important to me?

Let's start with this short and so interesting thought:


It has a point, doesn't it? I was absolutely amazed when I saw it, it expresses my point of view so well and in so short way. I am trying to say that I don't love my country because I was born in here. I don't love my language because I should, because it is good to respect your language and your country. 

I wouldn't mind living in another place, with another language, another people and mentality. As long as I feel good in a place, I will live there. And I feel good with polish mentality and language, and landscapes, and trains, and roads and sucky government. I have grown here, and I FEEL GREAT HERE. I had an oportunity to live in Basque Country and I just didn't feel very well there. People were so kind, the culture seems to be so rich and different from ours, it's not even about the horrible climate, rain and stuff - it's just I belong to Poland, and other cultures are worth discovering, but I feel the best right here and there is nothing I can do about it, at least now. 
It doesn't mean I don't see disadvantages - there are so many problems to solve, I just am aware of that every country has its issues. So I don't love Poland because I should, I love it because of many reasons, not because I was born here and it is required to be a patriot. 

If I will enjoy being at Mexico or United States, I will love it as well :)

If Poland was named Germany and we would speak german, I would love it as long as I would feel well, feel grateful for some things that happen here and for some people I meet here. We build our countries, we work for its future, and then it is easier to be a patriot, isn't it?
















1 comment:

  1. I am really impressed with your reflections, first of all because I guess few young people have such thoughts at all. Or am I wrong about that? I wish I was. Secondly, your writing shows independence of thought, which is always welcome in students. I'm glad you have shared this with us here - thanks!

    ReplyDelete